Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Live in Joburg


Doug, my bra, howzit china ha ha?

I'm back home in Jozi for my 30th birthday (only a couple of hours away now; I need to start drinking in earnest). It's hot here -- been in the 30s since I got back, so I guess it's summer here already.

I had some interesting meetings in L.A. before I left your hemisphere about that potential next project, which I'm convinced is even more perfect for you since seeing that whale concept thing on your blog (took me awhile to catch up on that; stupid slow SA internet).

One of the local awful lifeforms just skittered past, and reminded me all over again why I chose Parktown Prawns for my aliens in District 9 -- our giant, indestructible king crickets (they are actually wetas, like the shop that did my the FX for my movie and Peter's Rings trilogy) of Joburg can't help but give anyone the creeps. They jump right at you, shit stinking ink at you, and the barbs on their legs hurt, not to mention they get as big as 20 cm! We used to toss the evil things in the braai when I was a kid and the goggas would POP in the flame (that's what inspired that baby prawn - burning scene in my movie)...

Glad you are still as enthusiastic to do something together. We'll hook up for that lunch when I'm back in B.C. ....!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unless you are Doug Williams, do not contact me